Sunday, September 10, 2006

9/11

I'm 29 years old. I'm still young enough that I'm changing quickly, but old enough that I've experienced a fair amount of change. Something that I've realized is that there is a lot of struggling involved with being human. You don't know that as a very young person, but once you get to say, mid-elementary school, it starts to hit you. Struggle to fit in. Struggle to understand yourself. Struggle to understand others. Struggle to survive.

It's funny how when you say a word enough, it loses its meaning. It's a fun game to repeat a word over and over until it sounds like it's from another language. My favourite word for that game is 'leotard'. Say leotard over and over and over, and suddenly it's the funniest sounding word you can think of.

Despite all the little struggles I've had over the years as I've grown up, or because of them, the word 'struggle' had become just like leotard in my vernacular. A silly word with very little meaning.

But it's funny how when you suddenly have proper context for a silly word, it becomes meaningful once again.

No comments: