Monday, August 14, 2006

Aesthetics

My current favourite. I´d have to say that an innate value system is something that all humans share, as we all have to possess one in order to continue living. Survival is not automatic, people must have the ´drive to survive´in order to do so. I´d also like to think that the other value systems don´t get developed unless that one is realized. That is to say, it´s hard to think about beauty when your body is starving.

But once innate values are realized, then suddenly a human has the leisure to think about aesthetics. People spend a lot of time thinking about aesthetics, I think, whether they are considering the beauty of a landscape, a building, an art piece, another human, music, poetry, prose, etc. Of course, although there are many things that many people consider beautiful, each person has some set of values that must apply to an object in order for him/her to call it beautiful.

I don´t think that there is any universal aesthetic value system, nor do I think that all people have a very developed aesthetic value system; but I do think that all people have some sense of aesthetics. Because again, one man´s junk is another man´s gold. But each man has an opinion on the object in question.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jeremy, Finally get to read your blog without being cut off by our system at the lake. I love to look at all the pictures. The scenery is amazing and it looks like you're meeting alot of interesting people. We're off to Brandon on Wed. for 3 days. William is growing like a weed and cuter every day. Can hardly wait for you to see him again. Beware of the crocs and snakes on your Amazon tour. Keep safe and happy. Love mom P.S. I tried to comment before but it didn't work so if this is a repeat, sorry!

Rocketman1200 said...

aw jeez mom, I thought you had something to say about values! Just kidding. Nice to hear from you, and good to hear that little Willy´s doing good..Love, Jeremy